Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Colorado

Good heavens, Colorado has had more than it's share of disaster.  First the fires, now a psycho in a theater.  A couple of things stand out to me about these stories, mostly serving to illustrate that America is the home of the brave.
  •  Countless firefighters traveled to Colorado to fight the many fires, some of which still aren't out yet. One of the incredible things about this set of fires is that there were around a dozen fires, burning thousands of acres and some 600 homes, but only TWO people are known to have died.  Timely firefighter response was a part of that.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to be a firefighter, being within a few feet of blazes like the ones I've seen in pictures.  It's terrifying to even see the pictures, even when the pictures are from several miles away, at least.
  • During the Aurora shooting, one girl was hit in the neck and fell.  Her friend dropped with her, putting pressure on the wound, keeping her from bleeding to death until help arrived.  The girl will recover.

I wonder what goes through the mind of someone who does something like the Aurora shooting.  I can't come up with anything that could make someone do something this heartlessly brutal.  I also wonder what goes through the minds of the people around when someone starts shooting.  I've so far been fortunate enough to not find out, but I can't imagine the terror.
A miracle, though:  A friend of a friend's was at the theater, and was shot 3x in the arm, and once in the head.  The shot through her head came within a hair's width of hitting the brain, but went instead up the nasal cavity in the middle.  By God's providence, she will make a complete recovery.
There are also stories of homes spared from the fires, and of other victims who will make full recoveries.  My heart aches for the families of those who have died, for the family of the shooter as they deal with the actions of their son/brother, and for those who have lost nearly everything in the fires.  But I rejoice for everything that has been spared.  God's providence is truly amazing, and I hope that many more examples will emerge over the coming weeks.
One just came up now, in fact.  I was typing, and something happened, and I thought it had deleted everything I had written.  After a minute, though, I figured out where it went, and got it back without having to re-type everything.  Yay!
pointe4Jesus
~Dancing for Him Who died for me.~

No comments:

Post a Comment